Книга: Phantoms in the BrainNeuroscientist V.S. Ramachandran is internationally renowned for uncovering answers to the deep and quirky questions of human nature that few scientists have dared to address. His bold insights about the brain are matched only by the stunning simplicity of his experiments — using such low-tech tools as cotton swabs, glasses of water and dime-store mirrors. In Phantoms in the Brain, Dr. Ramachandran recounts how his work with patients who have bizarre neurological disorders has shed new light on the deep architecture of the brain, and what these findings tell us about who we are, how we construct our body image, why we laugh or become depressed, why we may believe in God, how we make decisions, deceive ourselves and dream, perhaps even why we’re so clever at philosophy, music and art. Some of his most notable cases:
• A woman paralyzed on the left side of her body who believes she is lifting a tray of drinks with both hands offers a unique opportunity to test Freud’s theory of denial.
• A man who insists he is talking with God challenges us to ask: Could we be “wired” for religious experience?
• A woman who hallucinates cartoon characters illustrates how, in a sense, we are all hallucinating, all the time.
Dr. Ramachandran’s inspired medical detective work pushes the boundaries of medicine’s last great frontier — the human mind — yielding new and provocative insights into the “big questions” about consciousness and the self.
- Phantoms in the Brain
- Australopithecus sediba — австралопитек, похожий на человека
- Индри белолобый (Propithecus diadema)
- P. A. Kosintsev Livestock breeding in the forest-steppe and steppe areas of Western Siberia in the late bronze and iron ...
- Quantitative analysis of animal bones from the cultural layers of ancient settlements Summary
- G. Sh. Asylgaraeva To the question about forms of stockbreeding activity of bulgaro-tatar population (on the example of ...
- Тип Круглые черви, или Нематоды (Nemathelminthes)
- Тип Плоские черви (Plathelminthes, или Platodes)
- Таблица 6. Характеристика полностью расшифрованных геномов ряда про– и эукариотических организмов (по B. Alberts et al, ...
- Нивяник обыкновенный, или поповник (Leucanthemum vulgare)
- Любка двулистная, или ночная фиалка (Platanthera bifolia)
- Род Циатея (Cyathea)